Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 100

Thread: A7 Project

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Bowtie,
    Why don't you email me with your best price if you don't want to post a price here on the forum.
    Thanks

    Thanks Jon,
    I'll keep these in mind as well.

    Can anyone tell me the difference between the 416 a, b, and c?
    Which one would be best for my project. As I said I have 902's for the HF so I'm good to go there.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Pretty plywood cabs. Strong corners. Good stuff.

    I think I liked by plywood w/416 better than my 'mdf' with 515-8G. Don't know how much of that was the cab vs the speaker, different sizes so could not swap to test.

    Just a curiosity that you may want to note - While you have the woofers out, check/photo the motorboard/baffleboard/where they mount.
    Mine had indication of who made the cabinets (stamp was 'hill craft mfg' IIRC... posted on some other thread) obscured by mounted woofers.

    Old (and all?) 416-8A's (A's) are alnico magnets. They are also suitable 'only' for rear mounting (the front of the speaker frame, mated to the rear face of the baffle) , due to the 'flutes' (for lack of a better term) which reinforce the rear side of the frame. Latter models / revisions of Altec woofers seem to have eschewed this in favor of a flat surface (like bowties') which then allows mounting the speaker from either face of the frame.

    As for additional diffs, check the lansing hertiage site, altec pro site, or greatplainsaudio for original spec sheets on many such drivers. Just note which frame size you are reading about. (apparent from pics usually)

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    PS. You will find numerous posts/discussion about port size and A7 style (828/825) cabs here on the board.
    Those look like a pretty good start to me, similar to what I ended up with on mine, though perhaps longer and thinner of a shape than ideal.

    'That old saw: A7 port size' (or very similarly phrased) is one of the threads that comes to mind.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    More pictures...
    Hostboard

    The top of one cabinet has had the top layer of plywood damaged. Obviously when the cabinet was flipped. I will remove the rest of the top layer and replace it with a veneer of Birch, then repaint both cabinets. BTW they are 825's from the mid 60's according to my research. I can't seem to find any plans for this model. only the 828.

    Dang, those 416B's of Bowties look awesome. I bet he wants a fortune for them. They are, I believe, exactly what I need...

    BTW, can I use 2 inch fiberglass instead of the 1 inch. I need to replace the existing fiberglass. It appears to only be on the bottom and sides next to the woofer. I believe this is correct for this model.

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    Old (and all?) 416-8A's (A's) are alnico magnets. They are also suitable 'only' for rear mounting (the front of the speaker frame, mated to the rear face of the baffle) , due to the 'flutes' (for lack of a better term) which reinforce the rear side of the frame. Latter models / revisions of Altec woofers seem to have eschewed this in favor of a flat surface (like bowties') which then allows mounting the speaker from either face of the frame.
    That's not entirely accurate...... there were 416-8A's made that used the newer 16" frame. They probably aren't as common, Though.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Dang,
    416A's
    416B's
    416C's
    Now I AM confused...

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 Project


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    That's not entirely accurate...... there were 416-8A's made that used the newer 16" frame. They probably aren't as common, Though.
    Yes there were. At the very tail end of production. Since it was a year or two production versus many, they aren't as common.

    The new frames were phased in, there is not a hard and fast switchover. Units from the last couple years can have either frame.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7 Project


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Can those 418s be reconed into a 416-8A? Is the magnet the same? Or would it be close enough for the A7 use?

    I would discuss it with GPA....

    I have looked at the internals and they look the same to me.

    But then I have seen posts saying the MI speakers have different pole pieces.

    I don't think that's true, and don't remember who said it, but he had enough cred to make me wary.

    It would be sad to tear up a pair of "survivors" though.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    ... Good catch on the late model 416a's guys.
    I could not remember for certain, hence the 'and all?'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    Dang,
    416A's
    416B's
    416C's
    Now I AM confused...
    Don't worry. It gets even more fun when you look at 604 and 515 variants. ;-)

    So, as an 825, it is setup for the smaller frame size, correct?

    In that respect, the larger frame may (may) barely fit. I believe that they may have spaced the latter model frame holes for such an application - but I have not done it myself. I don't know if there are other clearance issues. Someone else here who actually knows can chime in... or you can measure and compare to the spec sheet(s).

    I do know (from experience) that a (small frame 416-8A) will not 'naturally' fit in an 'A5' 828 cab which does fit it's 515-8G 'naturally'. We assume the 515-8G is OEM.

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Project

    The small frame bolt circle is equal(or darn close to it) to the minimum diameter of the large frame bolt circle.

    I'm pretty sure you can get a large frame in an 825 w/ no mods or hacking, and even get the T-nuts to line up. It will be a tight fit with the frame all but touching the inside of the top of the cabinet, but the 825 print spec's the center of the woofer opening at 8-1/16 inches from the inside of the top panel.

    The 825 spec's a 14-9/16 bolt circle same as that of the small frame woofers, and the 828 a 15-1/8 bolt circle which must be fairly close to the largest diameter the slots in the large frame will accept.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.